I am usually good about bringing my own reusable shopping bags with me. However, being human, I forget from time to time and the paper bags pile up, using valuable space in my front closet. As I began to place my paper bag collection in the recycling bin the other day, an idea struck me – wrapping paper!
I love wrapping gifts, but there is this teeny, tiny little part of me that feels guilty purchasing rolls and rolls of paper just to be torn and tossed. Reusing a paper bag not only re-purposes a grocery bag, but also saves trees and money for holiday gift wrapping. Also, I hope it also serves as a little recycling reminder to those receiving them. To give is better than to receive, so why not give a little back to the planet?
Recycled Paper Bag Wrapping Paper
You will need:
- Paper shopping bags
- Colored pencils, markers, crayons, stickers, and/or stamps and ink
- Tape, Ribbons, String, and other gift wrapping materials
1. Remove the handles from your paper bags.
2. Find the seam and cut along it. Then proceed to cut along the base, removing the bottom of the bag. You should have one long sheet of paper.
3. If you want plain wrapping paper, you are done and can begin wrapping. If you want to decorate, measure out how much of the paper you will need and trim to size. (We don’t want to waste any!)
4. Decorate with a pattern or picture. Stamps and stickers are also great decorations. And if you have small children, they can customize their own wrapping paper as a fun project.
5. Your Recycled Paper Bag Wrapping Paper is now finished. Wrap some gifts, sip some cocoa, and sing a little carol or two.