As I close my 28th year of life, I’ve been astounded by how much can change in 365 days. This time last year my feet were disappearing, I was going through cartons of lemonade weekly, and Little Man was just beginning to practice his ninja kicks. This morning, as I waited for water to boil for coffee, I watched him play. He was “reading” as he opened his little board books and made funny noises, stopping on occasion to kiss the characters. (I’m going to have to keep an eye on this charmer!) I feel so blessed. Life is truly beautiful.
I may not have accomplished all my resolutions, but I have accomplished some pretty big things over the year! Before I go into what my new resolutions are, let’s take a look at the resolutions for my 28th year:
1. Seek Balance. This is a life resolution. The more I focus on what is truly important, the more empowered, happy, and balanced I feel. Focusing on simplicity, gratitude, and optimism pretty much saved me over the past year. There were so many moments where I could have completely gone mental. (I’m sure if you ask Hubby, he’ll probably tell you I did.) Babies are quite skilled in invading your balanced little world and turning it upside down. By focusing on the simple things (he is fed and in a dry diaper, and – hey- I remembered to put on deodorant today!) kept me from getting completely overwhelmed with all the what-ifs, maybes, and I-have-no-ideas.
2. Be Informed About World Events. This is a successful work in progress. The CNN and BBC phone applications are amazing, allowing me to find out breaking news and then follow up later. And on some evenings, Hubby and I even watch the news. We are kind of obsessed with the Al Jazeera English network.
3. Learn Fundamental Italian. You should air out a Barolo for at least half an hour before drinking it. So, other than that, I know nothing.
4. Learn To Cook Seafood Well. I’m getting better! My favorite dish was the mussels I made with my friend JB in honor of Shark Week.
5. Get Back In Touch With My Inner Artist. This, too, has become a life-long resolution. I feel so happy when I write or sketch on a regular basis. I’m working on some room décor for LM’s nursery. I promise to share photos when I’m done!
So, for this upcoming 29th year of my life, what am I resolving to do?
1. Discover Life, Liberty, and Pursue Happiness as I continue to seek balance. While I’ve been challenged in extraordinary ways over the past year, there were some moments where I had never felt more free, happy, or empowered. As a child and teenager, I constructed my world with rigorous guidelines and checklists, thinking accomplishing every minute detail would bring me happiness. Only over the past few years, as I have relinquished control and embraced life with all its messy beauty, have I begun to discover true bliss.
2. Build A Proper Bar. We always have Belvedere in the freezer and a bottle of Knob. However, I’d love to have things on hand to whip up a Cosmopolitan or Manhattan for whenever the occasion calls. I also have a sudden interest in apéritifs and digsetifs.
3. Actually Finish Reading Anna Karenina and Moby Dick. I keep putting these books off. There are moments where they are absolutely brilliant. And then, there are moments, where they are so incredibly dull I want to cry. (Levin?! Cetology?! Anyone?)
4. Learn Fundamental Italian. Let’s face it, this is going to be a resolution until the day I put up a post in Italian. And I better hurry up because I’d also love to learn French, German, Greek, and maybe a little Portuguese, too.
Happy Almost Birthday To Me! And a very Merry Unbirthday to you, too! And if today is your Birthday, may it be an awesome one!